Google Analytics is an external service that allows you to track and analyze traffic to and from your site. This plugin makes it easy to add Google Analytics support to your site.
To enable this plugin on your site:
- Create a Google Analytics account.
- Enter a new site with these settings:
- Website’s URL: blogs.cites.illinois.edu/[your-site-name]
- Account Name: by default this is your URL, but you can make it anything meaningful to you.
- Time zone: Central Time
- For the “Add Tracking” step nothing is required. You will configure the WordPress plugin to automatically add the tracking code.
- On the “Account Settings” page you will see an Account ID that looks like “UA-XXXXXXXX-X”. Remember this because you will use it later to configure the WordPress plugin.
- You are finished setting up your Google Analytics account!
Now that Google Analytics is ready, you need to setup the WordPress plugin.
- Log in to your site.
- On the right sidebar, click on “Plugins”.
- Under “Google Analytics for WordPress” click on the “Activate” link. Then, once activated, click on “Settings”.
- Under “Analytics Profile” click the checkbox that says “Manually enter your UA code”. The authentication and automatic detection does not work with the CITES setup.
- For the UA code, use the Account ID you recorded above. This looks like UA-XXXXXXXX-X.
- The rest of the settings should be fine as is.
- Click “Update Google Analytics Settings” and you are ready!
Within a day you should start seeing statistics appear on your Google Analytics page.