QR Codes

I did a quick search on Google to see what resources came up on QR codes in education. I found a free website called: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

I tried out for myself one simple application of QR codes in education. It is pretty basic but was free, fast and admittedly fun. To show you the screen shots on my Mac and iPhone, I also did a quick Google on how to take screen shots of your iPhone. If you were like me and didn’t already know this than maybe you will appreciate me sharing quickly that all you need to do is press your top button and home button at the same time for a second. Your screen will flash white and you will hear the camera sound. Anyways as you can see below it is very simple to create QR codes and copy and paste them into worksheets. Students can quickly scan to double check their answers.

Another web source is: http://livebinders.com/play/play/51894

This site contains several resources. I found the application of QR codes to be quite endless and they seem to work nicely with hands on learning activities and even field trip based learning activities as it is an excellent way to embed all kinds of information anywhere in the learning landscape. Plus it is engaging and fun! At least that is my personal take on it. I did a mini test with my 11 and 13 year old and they also seemed more engaged and focused on the information when it appeared after scanning a code.

In the field of special education, I can see lots of potential applications. For example, during vocational training a student with disabilities could scan QR codes at different steps in their work routine to retrieve video demonstrations, photo tasks analysis or written steps to aide them in completing their job accurately. Embedding these supports in the work environment would allow individuals to work freely (i.e. would not have to carry extensive photo albums or check off sheets or other instructional materials) and access needed supports in a respectful, modern and efficient way (i.e. very discreet, flexible and age appropriate efficient way of providing needed supports).

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.